Sunday, January 27, 2008

Personal Essay Topic

After thinking long and hard about my topic for this personal essay, I finally decided to write about the mission trips that I have been on for the past four summers. Even though I haven't exactly thought about how I would write this paper, I realized that these were very significant events that took place in my life and with each new summer I find myself wondering the same things. How am I so fortunate in life when there are so many people suffering around the world? Why do we take so many things for granted? How do people survive in these living conditions? How do these people remain so happy all the time? It is questions like these that kept me going back each summer to a new place to try and discover the answers. I have worked on mission trips in New York City, Jamaica, Belize, and Costa Rica. I have returned from all of these places with a new outlook on life and a wonderful feeling of accomplishment. However, when we return from the ten day long trips I find myself disappointed with how little time it takes to become right back where I started. That leads me to ask myself "Why do I conform to the luxuries of my life so quickly after helping people with so little?" That question might not even make sense but it is just another thought that crosses my mind after these life-changing trips that I was fortunate enough to take.
I am really looking forward to writing this personal essay and I hope it will help answer some of these questions that I have left unanswered for so long.

3 comments:

Sebastilover said...

I think this topic is really good because it something that you are interested in, and even though you have done it 4 times i understand the questions you still have every time you go back. The only thing that you might wanna look out for is writing too much about your experience( which is amazing) and keep in mind the questions you have about those experiences.

Cristina Flores said...

I think it's awesome that you have gone to so many different places and have had those experiences! I'm sure these mission trips have really made a difference in your life. I also think that you will have a lot to write about because you probably have a lot of good stories from this trip!

April Patrick said...

This sounds like a great topic that you can connect both through the concrete experiences in the various mission trips and through the questions and thoughts you've had about those experience. I'm looking forward to reading your draft on Friday!