Wednesday, January 23, 2008

Introduction

Dear Ms. Patrick,
I figured I would start off with the basics and let you know that I grew up in Houston, Texas. I have lived in Houston all my life so moving to Ft. Worth for school is quite a change for me. I absolutely love Ft. Worth so my parents might lose me to this city. I am a freshman at TCU and I am currently majoring in Early Childhood Education. Children have been my passion and I have always loved working with kids. My mom is a pre-school teacher and for as long as I can remember I have been going to her classroom to help out with her kids. However, as much as I love kids I also enjoy writing as well. That is why I was excited about getting into this English class because I was hoping it would improve my writing and allow me to figure out if I might want to consider English as a major. I really enjoy writing personal essays where I can use examples from my own life in order to tell a story or make a point. I am not a huge fan of writing research papers or reports. I get very overwhelmed and stressed out when I have to write papers like that. Although writing can be very difficult for me at times it is very important in everyday life. Writing allows you to express yourself and discuss matters that you might not feel comfortable talking about in person. I enjoy writing when I am not under pressure and when I can just write in my own way. I lose my focus very easily which makes it very frustrating to write sometimes. I must be in a quiet room where there are very few distractions in order for me to complete a paper. Of course there are always the occasional writer's blocks that I get as well which are equally as frustrating, especially when I have an assignment due. The person who has the biggest influence on my writing is probably my older sister who majored in English in college. She is always the first person I turn to when I was stuck on a paper. She has helped me throughout high school with my papers and she has the best advice for me. I hope that I can greatly improve my writing this semester and that the words in my papers will flow smoothly. I have always seemed to have a problem with transitions in my papers so I hope that I can improve that aspect of my writing as well. I am really looking forward to this semester in English because I hope that I can build up my confidence in writing papers and maybe, just maybe become a better writer after taking this course. I am really looking forward to your class Ms. Patrick and I hope that you are able to enjoy our class as well.
I also have read and agree to the terms in the course syllabus and I am completely willing to abide by these terms for the entire semester.

No comments: