Sunday, April 27, 2008

In my argument essay I discussed the controversy over the new 23-story high-rise apartment complex that is being built on a neighborhood street in Houston. This new building has made most of the residents in the neighborhood very angry. My essay discusses the positive and negative aspects about the new building, but it also portrays my opinion on the matter as well. I personally believe that there is no need for this monstrosity in the middle of a residential neighborhood. Throughout the essay, I present the audience with good evidence to support my opinion, but I also try and present a fair portrayal of the opposing side of the argument.
I have chosen to use a yard sign as the medium for my argument because I think it will be the most effective source of advertisement. A yard sign will allow all of the residents in the neighborhood to voice their opinions on the issue, and the point will also get across to other people who view the signs from the street. A yard sign would catch the attention of many people outside of the neighborhood who might not be as informed on the issue. It would also be a good souce of advertisement that would attract other residents in the area to voice their opinion on the new high-rise.
On the poster/sign I plan to have an effective image that will attract the reader's attention. I will divide the sign in half and take the before and after approach. On the before side, I will draw the West University neighborhood before the high-rise was built and put emphasis on the happy, sunny, and neighborly side of things. I will use bright colors on te efore side so that it will spark a positive feeling within the audience. One the after side of the sign I will draw the same neighborhood only replacing a few homes with the new Ashby High Rise. This side of the poster will be drawn in darker colors that promote negative feelings within the audience. The high rise will be overlooking all of the surrounding houses and maybe I will draw a member of the neighborhood on the side looking sad and depressed. Since much of my argument in my paper involves the deprivation of sunlight from many houses, I will try and make the houses on the "after" side of the poster look darker. If I use colors like black and grey that should make the audience feel negatively about the new building, which is precisely my intention. Even though my ad has not fully come together yet, I have high hopes that it will be effective. I think that this is the best way to advertise to the people that this issue concerns. It is important to realize that I have a certain audience, and tat not everyone will be as interested in this controversy as others. That being said, I think a yard sign is the perfect way to speak my mind.

No comments: