Friday, April 4, 2008

Argument Essay Topic

For my final essay, the argument essay, I am planning on writing about a new highrise apartment building that is being built on one of my neighborhood streets in Houston. It is a very controversial building, because most of the neighbors are very angry that there will be a huge tower overshadowing our houses. It will be a good topic for me to research because i want to find out more about the situation and hear other people's opinions.
My interest in the topic is pretty obvious. This new 20 story high rise directly effects me and my family because our house is located a few streets away from the possible building site. I am interested to hear my parent's point of view on it as well as my surrounding neighbors. I hope that they can provide me with enough evidence to support the pros and cons about this new building. I am also interested in finding out more about this building in general, because the idea to build it was pitched after I had already left for college so I am pretty outside the loop on this. It will be good for me to know more about the circumstances and possible outcomes that could effect me when I go back to Houston for the summer.
As far as brevity goes, I think my topic is specific enough to make my paper brief and to-the-point. It inolves one portion of the neighborhood, and therefore it is not as broad of a topic.
This topic will also produce disagreement simply because there are people who feel strongly about not building this new structure, and there are others who feel differently. I am interested to see how much people certain people agree and disagree, and if there is a fight against the contractors who are building the high rise. I think this topic will portray a lot of disagreement which is hy I am looking forward to writing about it.
Although this argument is taking place in Houston, I am hoping that I will be able to gather enough information from my parents and neighbors in oprder to write a sufficient paper. I think the information will be very easy to access via email or telephone. Since they have not actually built the structure, there is nothing to see yet, so I should not be missing out on any picture research. However, I do know of two families already that have differing viewpoints on the subject, and that will give me a good start for the paper.
This topic poses a question that contains two different answers and many possible solutions or alternatives. I intend to have enough information that will equally present two different sides and will provide the reader with a solid argument.
I am looking forward to writing this paper, becasue it will give me a chance to study my community and the people in it. It has been a while since I have been updated on the news from home, so it will be good to be aware of what is going on back in Houston.

1 comment:

April Patrick said...

This sounds like an interesting topic that is extremely relevant for you, your family, and your neighbors. I'm sure there are lots of people who feel positively about the high rise, so it'll be interesting to see how many sides emerge from what seems like a rather focused topic. j